Tower Defense games have been very popular lately, so I thought I’d take a look at my Top 5 Tower Defense Games.
I believe the idea behind tower defense games comes from Warcraft 3. Basically you need to build different type of towers in order to destroy the “creeps”. Usually the towers have different properties and upgrade opportunities.
5. Tower Defense is very basic with very simple graphics. All creeps are grey circles that move at the same speed.
There’s not much to this one, but it’s the first TD game I played so it makes the list because of the addictiveness.
4. Flash Element TD has basic graphics which a variety of different looking creeps. There are two types of creeps, land and air based. So some towers can only hit land targets, some only air and some can hit both.
This one includes a monetary bonus depending on how much you have left in the bank after each wave of creeps. So it’s to your benefit to survive a wave by spending the least amount of money. You really need to do this to go far in the game.
3. Flash Circle TD is the sequel to Flash Element TD but a different game all together. The graphics and sound are much better and it’s kept the cool monetary bonus.
What makes this different is that there are endless waves of creeps that keep walking around the map. You lose once 100 creeps are on the screen.
2. Desktop Tower Defense is unique in that you determine which path the creeps have to take. All the want to to is cross the screen so it’s up to you to put towers in their way making it a long journey for them.
The downside to Desktop Tower Defense is the graphics. The just aren’t that special, however trying to create a long path is quite addictive.
1. Onslaught like Desktop Tower Defense isn’t very special graphically, but it does offer so much more.
Onslaught has 8 different maps to play. Towers have 3 upgrade options (Damage, Range, Fire Rate) where others have just 1. Different towers can work together to make much stronger attacks.
There are a lot of aspects to Onslaught that need to be mastered to go far and get your name on the leader board.
There are heaps of these games out there, but these five are my favourites.
Go forth and kill the creeps!